Friday, June 13, 2008

Don't be afraid to see what you see.

This is not my inaugural blog; but, it has been a very long time. Since my last true blogging stint, I have written and defended a Doctoral Thesis, moved from the Delaware/Maryland area to my home state of Tennessee, bought a new house, started a new job, and my wife and I have been blessed with a new son, Carter John. It has been a really long time. I have sat back (well, maybe not sat back) and watched life fly by. With my new son being born, it looks like I will be spending more time at home. That means no more movies, few nights out, and no spontaneous trips to anywhere. Funny how God takes freedom away by giving you a young child and then replaces that freedom with a deep profound love for that same young child that makes everything else seem absolutely worthless. So, with that being said, I would like to give a little introduction to those things I will be discussing in my blog....

I have taken the title of my blog from a quote attributed to Ronald Reagan: "Don't be afraid to see what you see." This small phrase reminds me of the many obvious and oftentimes silly quotes from Yogi Berra, but it penetrates deeply for me and rings with a sense of profound truth. To give you a better idea of where this saying may play into your life, let me provide a small example...

The Church in the 1600's believed that the Bible indicated that the earth was stationary and the heavens moved around it. Galileo came to a different conclusion as he studied the works of his predecessors and through his own personal observations of the heavens. The Church did not take too kindly to this and asked Galileo to neither
"hold or defend" the idea of the earth not being a stationary object. There were many motivations for the Church to maintain their belief system. If proven incorrect, their credibility would be diminished. Also, an unstationary earth would be in direct conflict with the literal interpretation of the Bible as they understood it. So, instead of allowing science to explore and define the true nature of the heavens, they decided to silence Galileo. Not only were they afraid to discover the true nature of the heavens, when the discoveries were made, they were afraid to truly see what was evident to Galileo. Only when the truth was made to be obvious and well known did they recant their former beliefs (the Church has since officially conceded that the earth was not stationary; in 1992!).

You see, sometimes in life we must step back from our strongly held beliefs and search for the truth no matter what the cost is. This may be something trivial like going to see what just made the loud crashing sound in your rambunctious 12 years olds room. It may be something minor like actually going to the mechanic when that check engine light comes on. It may be something very deep and personal. Why do you have doubts about yourself? Do you find yourself wanting to question the so-called known truths? Are you getting tired of the status quo? Do you find yourself questioning the news media? Are politicians really selling solutions or magic beans? Do not be afraid to search for answers to these questions or bring up the thoughts to others. In your search for truth you will find out more about the world around you. In reality, you will discover more about yourself if you are not afraid to see what you see.

3 comments:

Sara said...

I see dead people.....just kidding.

I'm excited that you are blogging again. Your perspective is always enlightening and challenges my own thinking on a wide variety of issues. I look forward to reading more from you.

Stevenbspeaks said...

Well, as St. Augustine said, "All Truth is God's Truth". The more we unveil, unearth, and unravel the more we will see the Truth. The reason the Church has denied science so often is that "men love darkness rather than light". Historically, fearful church leaders have sought to preserve their own power rather than embrace evidential Truth. Nothing new there. Great job, JJ.

Anonymous said...

I did a search for "afraid to truly see the world" and found this blog. I live a hermetic but unfulfilled life precisely because I am afraid to see what is there. I discovered this strange fear moments ago after asking myself why it is that I do not connect with others no matter how much I may talk with them. I just have not been looking at the person. I am so amazed. It takes courage to see what you see. I look forward to opening my eyes and taking it all in.
Thank you for your thoughts.